Saturday, March 5, 2011

Create or Tend to Your Altar

It’s important to have personal space where you can pray and meditate.  This doesn’t need to be a formal location, just someplace where you feel comfortable and can close your eyes without distraction.  It can even be the corner of a room used for other purposes.
            Creating an altar in this sacred space will inspire you to meditate.  Use a flat surface-a tabletop, for example, or a shelf- on which you can place objects that have a meaning for you or inspire peaceful feelings.  You may want to include items representing nature, such as feathers, shells or crystals.  It serves as a focal point for prayer and meditation, and over time it becomes imbued with deeply spiritual energy.
            Begin making your altar today.  If you already have one, tend to it by reviewing the things that it holds.  Do you feel guided to remove any of the items or place new ones on it?  As you work with your altar, notice the feelings that it awakens in you.  Connect with it as you would a dear old friend, and it will serve you loyally each day.
            Affirmation:  This is my place where I can let go, expose all my true feelings to Spirit, and honor my Divine path.
                                                                                    Doreen Virtue

My thoughts:
            Before even reading any literature on this, I had already created an altar of sorts on a shelf in my bedroom.  On this shelf, I had placed items that had spiritual meaning for me.  I dedicated a whole shelf to this and as I lay in bed (my  usual meditation place) I can see my shelf and look over the items I have carefully and lovingly placed there.  They serve as a reminder of Who I Am and to remain in connection with my Source.  I didn’t call it my altar, I didn’t call it anything really, I just went with my heart and dedicated a shelf to my spirituality.  Now, I call it My Altar!  J
            Are you following your heart?  Are there spiritual things you would like to implement into your life but are afraid what others may think?  I invite you to do what feels right for you.  If you would benefit from such a sacred space, I invite you to design a loving altar for yourself.  Staying connected to our Source at all times is a important part of making it through our days with peace.
Namaste’

No comments:

Post a Comment