Sunday, January 23, 2011

Getting out of Chaos and into the Now

"The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind."
-- William James


Lying in bed beside my little girl listening to her breathe while she sleeps…  Being totally and completely absorbed in the Now.  Feeling the warmth of her little body curled up next to mine.  Smelling the vague scent of a candle burning in the other room.  Hearing the sound of the TV as my folks are happily watching “Mama Mia” together.  Living is about those exact moments.  It’s not about the material world and what we have.  It’s about loving completely while we are here.  It’s about completely feeling the grace that is all around us.  Enjoying with deep gratitude the blessings that we have.
I realize not all moments are as serene as this one I describe.  But to continue the story, I left the bedroom to go write in my study and my oldest comes in and says,  “Remy just puked all over the bed!”  It wasn’t 5 minutes after I left the room.  She woke up in the middle of her peaceful slumber and let it rip… ! So the chaos began…  But in the middle of all of that, staying in the Now brought joy to the scene instead of negativity.  There was no drama, there was no negative emotions, just a steady stream of focus on the Now.  It’s amazing to me how when we refuse to get caught up in anything other than love, life flows with joy…
Living with my parents and 3 children can be a recipe for chaos.  But choosing to live in each moment as it arises and not allowing the chaos to consume me sets the stage for a peaceful living environment for all, no matter what comes up.  And believe me, it comes up!  There is never a dull moment around here.
I invite you to choose the Now over chaos.  Go with the flow.  Understand and grasp that right Now only happens once and then that moment is gone forever.  Don’t allow another moment to go by without relishing in it’s wonder no matter what it is.
This may seem impossible at first, but I promise, with continued focused, this can be your life…  Allow yourself time to adjust.  Allow yourself the human-ness of falling down as we all do.  And then refocus and move ahead!

Blessings to you and living your Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment