Wednesday, January 12, 2011

When to Offer Advice

I read a quote once that said, “Wisdom is knowing when to offer your knowledge and when to keep silent”.  Being a woman of speaking, and speaking a lot, I pondered this statement for a moment and decided it was absolutely true.  It isn’t about what we know, it’s about when to say it.  If someone isn’t ready to hear what we have already learned or what could propel them forward with empowerment, it is truly best to sustain.  Everything in divine timing.
Sometimes, all the person really wants is an ear to listen.  They merely need to just get the emotions out of his/her body!  They are feeling a boiling point of  emotion and just need to vent.  Remembering this is about them and not you in key!
Being an intuitive and life coach, this is not always easy for me.  Oftentimes, I can see right through the issue and “know” what would clear it up.  But, that isn’t what people are always wanting/needing.  It’s a strange and difficult dance for me as it may be for you as well.  What I have tried to do is ask the person, “Would you like to hear my thoughts or would you prefer I just listen?”  With that one statement, I have gotten both responses.  Yes, please do!  Or, I just really need a friend/sounding board right now.  And Bang!  They got it!  The key is knowing that we cannot help someone who is not seeking help.  We can only offer our assistance to someone who is seeking help or give them the space they need. Otherwise, we are infringing on their personal growth and awareness and this can be a turnoff to people.  “Just trying to help” can backfire and leave the person feeling angry and resentful with us rather than peaceful and calm. 
Again, for me holding the gift of intuition, this was hard for me to learn being I just wanted to blurt out what came to me!  Though time and practice has proven to me I can be of more assistance if I hold space for my friends/family in just the perfect way they need it at the time.  Consequently, I feel like I am showing up better for people in my life and loving them the way that works best for them.  And when I can be a source of love and light for people, I am at my happiest.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment