Monday, February 14, 2011

Assuming What Others are Thinking

         When we assume what others are thinking we are setting the stage for drama.  We interact with them based on what we think they think about us when we truly have no idea.  Would you be open to the idea that you really do not know what others are thinking?  Would you be willing to throw out the thoughts that are only assumptions in your mind?  Imagine how wonderful it would feel to not be attached to what you believe someone to be thinking about you!
         One day I found myself wondering why I feel uncomfortable around a certain group of people?  Why is it that I seem to shrink in the company of them?  I meditated on this and paid attention to my messages and I got my answer!  Because I had a belief in my head what I thought they were thinking.  I attached to that belief and my behavior reflected exactly that belief!  I had told myself stories of how they viewed me and I believed it!  Whoa!!  Big awareness for me!  So I dug even deeper…
Why do I think that this is what they think about me?  How did I come up with that conclusion in the first place?   Hmmmm…       Meditation and prayer later…  Because that is what I thought about me!  Let me say that again:  I was subconsciously judging myself and projecting it onto them.  So what I was beating myself up over, I believed the world to be judging me in the same way.  Wow…  Wow… and Wow! 
It wasn’t until I had someone do this to me-  Assume they knew how I felt or what I was thinking- that I realized I had been doing that as well to that certain group.  So I decided that a great forward movement would be to not assume the worst.  In fact, I did the opposite!  I chose to believe I was very loved and accepted by them and Bam!  everything changed!
Relationships are all about us and how we show up to them.  If you find yourself struggling with someone, take an honest moment to go within and ask yourself, “How can I view this situation with Love instead of Fear?”  And then watch in fascination as “your change/love” transforms the world around you!
Namaste’

No comments:

Post a Comment